Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)



This movie came out in the mid-90's amidst a slew of other quality comedies like Billy Madison and Tommy Boy that centered around what I like to think was juvenile or idiot humor...and you know what? It's still funny today, nearly 20 years later.


Unfortunately, this movie was so popular that it sprouted millions of tools who had to say stupid shit like, "Alrighty then!" and "Looooser!" non-stop and it actually made you think the movie and Jim Carrey's character was annoying when it was really only these unimaginative tools who were annoying (Same thing happened to Austin Powers). I actually had a friend named "Jim Curry" in high school who looked like Jim Carrey and he, of course, spouted these ridiculous catchphrases as his own...it's no wonder everyone hated that kid.

This movie was almost painful to watch because it was so funny. Why can't they make funny movies like this anymore? The main character is hilarious, the plot is a perfect vehicle to highlight the main character's strengths, and it's just a fucking funny movie. It also made me realize that Jim Carrey should get back into comedy (actual comedy that's funny instead of the recent garbage he's been in like Yes Man and Dick and Jane). I realize that cocaine had a lot to do with his performance, but, if that's what it takes to get him back to form, I'll gladly let him do a line off my ass.


Ace Ventura is just more proof that movies "back in the day" were so much better than they are today and that comedies and comedians in the 90s were way funnier than they are in the 2K era. Jim Carrey 2k11 = not funny. Adam Sandler 2k11 = NOT FUCKING FUNNY. Chris Farley 2k11 = dead. Even Will Ferrell is slowly drifting into the category 0f "not funny anymore." What happened?


Oh well. This movie is the reason Jim Carrey can make all those shitty movies he makes today and is paid millions of dollars to star in garbage. Let's appreciate the funny he once was instead of mourn the insane, depressed, overpaid actor he is today. "AAAAAAAAALL RIGHTY THEN!"


Why It's Awesome: A one man comedy machine is unleashed on the world with Gumby-like limbs, weird hair, a dozen catch-phrases, and a tendancy to speak with his ass. Now THAT'S comedy, my friends.

Best Quote:


Ace: Like a glove! (I still say this every time I squeeze into a parking space that is way too small for my car. I know, I know, I just got done talking about people quoting this movie, but it's a few decades old. Now it's fair game).

No comments:

Post a Comment