Monday, June 28, 2010

Ghostbusters (1984)



Who ya gonna call?


Fucking Ghostbusters, bitch!


So the Ghostbusters were my life when I was a kid. I watched the animated show everyday after school. I had all the toys and vehicles, even the Slimer that vomited slime. I remember going to the drive-in theater to watch Ghostbusters II and thinking it was the greatest thing I had ever seen in my entire life. And I was right. I wasn't alive for very long so my standards were pretty low at the time.


The first Ghostbusters film is still a flick I can watch over and over again, mainly because of Murray's performance and his legendary wisecracks. Without him, it's not the same movie, but you gotta give it up to the rest of the cast, too. Aykroyd and Ramis hold their own and (since they wrote the damn thing) I guess you gotta give them some credit, too. Winston was my favorite on the cartoon, but his role in the movie is fairly limited. Apparently the part was originally written for Eddie Murphy and the role was much larger, but Murphy decided to film Beverly Hills Cop instead. Guess you can't fault him for that.


Don't ask me why the black guy was my favorite. I think I liked the color of his jumpsuit the best. I remember when I was in kindergarten, I had an argument with my best friend, Danny Piquiet, on the bus about what color Egon's jumpsuit was. I said it was green and that prick kept insisting it was blue (In reality, it's greenish-blue). We were so pissed about the whole thing we refused to sit next to each other on the bus for a week. Even then I took entertainment pretty seriously. I still stand by my side of the argument so fuck you, Danny Piquiet. THAT SHIT WAS GREEN, BITCH!


Why It's Awesome: One of the few films ever to have a successful cartoon spin-off that was just as good as the movie. Until recently, I always thought the cartoon gave birth to the movie and not the other way around. You learn something new everyday, my friends...


Best Quote:


Ray: Everything was fine with our system until our power grid was shut down by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true:

Peter: Yes, it's true. This man has no dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment